Distinguished Flying Cross Photograph
British Military Medals Picture
This is a picture of Blackness castle situated in the small village of Blackness near Linlithgow, Scotland.
The photograph of Blackness Castle shows that it lies on the River forth which is the main river leading to Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland. Blackness Castle has served a number of purposes since it came into royal hands in 1453. For much of its history it has served as a prison in one shape or another. Between 1759 and 1815 Blackness was used to hold French prisoners of war during the series of conflicts of the late 18th and early 19th centuries, including the Seven Years' War and the Napoleonic Wars. The cast-iron pier was constructed in 1868, with a gate and a drawbridge, one of the last to be built in Britain.
Historic Scotland are the current owners and custodians
The images on this page are copyright free for personal use ONLY.
All other uses may be considered by the copyright holder.